Friday, November 20, 2009

Long dollar, short yen

Anybody who has been following my Twitter feed over the last week will know that I have been yapping on and on about the US dollar being the only place to be for December.

More specifically - long dollar short yen.

Now given what has and still is happening to the US dollar over the last 12 months, most of you are probably looking at me a little cross-eyed and wondering if I have taken my medication this morning... but hear me out.

I like the dollar going into December for a couple of reasons:

1. Say what you like about it, it will ultimately a defensive hard asset over the long run

2. Asia is stressing about their exports, at some point they are going to start putting pressure on their govts. to weaken many of their currencies to try and resucitate their export market

3. Singapore and Korea are now talking about trying to limit capital flows into their markets. Taiwan last week banned foreign investors from placing funds in time deposits on concern about currency speculation. Plenty of asset managers have been talking up the Asian currencies for a while now. Do they have the capacity to keep taking these inflows in the short-term? I don't think so.

4. Its a volume game - the two currencies who can genuinely absorb major inflows - the dollar and the yen (I'll touch on the yen now now).

5. Equity markets have run hard and there is a general sense that maybe its time to take something off the table and re-evaluate into the new year. Where are you going to park that cash?

Just for shits and giggles I am reading an article at this very moment about them evacuating people in "flood-hit Britain" - Mud Island is sinking into the sea ----> FACT

Which brings me to the Yen. The yen at 88.80 to the dollar is BAD news for Japan. A look at the Nikkei vs. Dow and S&P shows you that it the currency is doing Japanese companies no favours. In my opinion it won't move much lower and people will be looking for an excuse to buy the dollar over the yen in the short-term.

So long dollar, short yen and long Sasol are my only open positions at the moment.

3 comments:

Liquid Trader said...

John Mauldin on ABD (Anything But the Dollar)

http://news.goldseek.com/MillenniumWaveAdvisors/1258907548.php

Marc said...

You're getting lubricated today....

Liquid Trader said...

Back in the game! Nice rebound in the dollar...