Saturday, November 1, 2008

Shopping list

With equity markets finally taking a bit of a breather from the non-stop selling pressure, quite a few people have been talking about what shares are on their shopping lists.

You've seen my previous posts about not believing that we have seen the bottom of this sell-off so I thought I would take the time to touch on the 6 shares that are on my shopping list and provide some idea as to why I thought they were attractive.

BioScience Brands (BIO) - This is a high risk pick but I like the story and I think at its current levels it should be 'money for jam'now that new management has been installed and pushing for corporate action to build mass here. Given time I can see this share comfortably trebling.

ApexHi-B (APB) Units - A big part of my strategy has revolved around portfolio rebuilding and developing a consistent supply of income and dividends for reinvestment. My two prefered property picks were Apexhi-B and Growthpoint properties and APB happened to be next on my shopping list.

Deutsche Bank US index X-Tracker (DBXUS) - I'm a fan of exchange traded funds (ETF) and I've already taken a position in the Japanese markets, so I've hedged a bit with some exposure to the US market now. Quarterly US distributions and the US dollar 'hard currency' exposure are a theme in my portfolio.

African Bank Ltd (ABL) - Abil has been a favourite stock of mine, despite the segment of the market that they serve (micro-lending) / higher risk clients. Credit where credit is due - these guys have managed to handle risk better than any of the big four banks despite playing in a very tough segment of the market. The company is also very cash generative, generous with their dividends and are well positioned to buy up some nice assets should the opportunity present itself.

Grindrod (GND) - I've touched on my reasons why I like Grindrod in a previous post, so I'm not going to repeat it.

ZSHARESGOVI - This is another ETF that is issued by Investec. Basically this is tracking the South African bond market. For some exposure to the bond market, I think this is a nice way to split up the portfolio a bit.

Anyways that's where I'm looking - you probably won't find those on the shopping list of too many other institutional fund management experts (except maybe Grindrod), but I'm happy with those calls...

No comments: