Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bits and bobs

Tough week - just when you think you have things figured out you get worked over....

Before I get into my post this week I have to post something from Paul Theron over at South African asset management firm Vestact which I thought rang so true:

Deadly financial plan

FINANCIAL planning is deadly boring. What is worse, most of the assumptions are wild guesses, like the rate of inflation, your date of death and returns on equities.

Blogger Carl Richards suggests that it might be better to forget all the thumb sucking and just focus on some of the things we can control, and then hope for the best.

So how’s this for a financial plan. (1) Save as much as you reasonably can; (2) Don’t lose money through risky or stupid investments; (3) Draw down no more than 4%-6% of your assets each year once you retire.

There you go, all sorted.

...... And here we monkeys are trying to time or beat the market with our "systems" and analysis!

Sometimes I think keeping it all nice and simple beats this whole trading lark ... and then I get it right and I feel like a genius for a couple of hours!

Things that occur to me:
I do remain bearish on some aspects of the global economy but there is some genuinely positive data coming through:
  • Sometimes we traders get nailed by short-term "noise" that we don't look at what is right in front of us. I took a look at these charts which plotted the Baltic Dry Index (BDI) against Gold, Oil etc etc and it makes for interesting reading - underlying shipping rates are on the up (solidly)
  • These string of natural disasters intrigue me and I am surprised they have been given so little coverage by the financial media. There is likely to be a lot of government sponsored re-building which will need to take place here in the coming months. Would be interesting to know how this will impact supply and demand of commodities
  • I still think there is tension with Iran and I don't see the oil price going South any time soon except perhaps against a rebound in the dollar (see below)
  • While I have been shouted down on it by certain people - I still believe that Pakistan is a far bigger economic and security threat to the world than people are giving it credit for. For crying in a bucket they stormed a millitary base and held soldiers captive in one of the countries which has active nuclear armaments!
  • I see Jim Rogers is calling Gold to $2300 over the next decade and oild somewhere between $150 - $200 as well but sounds like a lot of noise and very unspecific.
Trades I like:
  • I am still long Sasol (probably short-term target of R310). The Rand to Dollar exchange rate has played havoc with this trade but it seems to have ground itself higher, despite the currency. Still think there is a bit more legs to this trade
  • I get the sense that we might be about to see the dollar do a short-term bounce (which might tie give a boost to SOL). Yes it has been sold down hard but at some stage but when something is completely out of favour, it suddenly surprises. It is also still a "hard" currency and with many export dependant economies needing a strong dollar exchange rate, it might not be a bad idea to look at the USD recovering in the short-term
  • I have put on some SMALL and TENTATIVE shorts on Gold as well on the back of a dollar revival
  • The 10000 point Dow must be on the cards for this week

1 comment:

Liquid Trader said...

Good piece on the US Dollar short term movements here:

http://tinyurl.com/yz6f49j