Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday update

Geez these crazy Americans are doing everything in their power to defend the 8000 level on the Dow...

My Sasol short
I remain in my Sasol short. There were a couple of times were the market looked like it was going to give but the Rand slipped in late trade and I think that saved a couple of hedges from a really bad day....

Pity but I'll get over it and I remain short.

Watching US trade I see that the market is bouncing every time it gets close to 8000 and the oil price has moved up a bit - probably going to count against the Sasol position.

The trend remains down and there's no conviction in the US markets either.

Sappi
I see the guys over at the ShareTips site have also hit on the intra day volatility in Sappi (SAP)

For traders who are looking for some action, we'd also recommend a look at Sappi. Plenty of action either way which might catch your eye.

Gold
Gold has spiked up nicely in late US trade to flirt with the US$900 an ounce mark and if the dollar / rand exchange rate continues to weaken then the gold bulls will have a ball...

Fundamentally Gold Fields probably isn't the worlds favourite share at the moment but its got some definite volatility and without stating the obvious if the gold price and rand go the right way who really cares WHAT the CEO has to say....

No comments: