Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Value picking

Even though I think there is a bit more downside risk (particularly in the US) I've been doing some small 'value' picking to add to my portfolio.

Below I've just outlined the companies that I've added and some of the thinking behind it:

ApexHi-B - Listed property as an asset class has to make up a portion of your overall portfolio. It provides some diversification and it provides some income. ApexHi and Growthpoint are my prefered property stocks and have subsequently added some to the portfolio.

DBXUS - Even with some downside risk to the US, a lower risk entry via an exchange traded fund that tracks the US market makes sense to me. Initially just trying to get some exposure to the US market and will continue to build up the position from these levels / below.

Grinrod - Shipping firm Grindrod has been under a hell of a lot of selling pressure in the last few months. That hasn't stopped the company directors piling into the stock. Even with the slowing global economy, Grindrod simply looks out and out cheap.

Abil - African Bank impressed me at their recent results announcement. I think the dividend yield on the stock is good, management look sharp and have a plan for the business and most importantly they are well capitalised so I've decided to add a few to my portfolio...

That's where I'm at at the moment. Might add some of the ZSHARESGOVI for a diversification component as well, but we'll see how things go.

No comments: