Monday, December 27, 2010

Sasol, the Nasdaq and the Dollar

So we are slowly sliding out of an interesting 2010 and treading with some trepidation into 2011. Markets are interesting at the moment... I wouldn't say tough because I'm still happy being long for the simple reason that there is a sea of liquidity out there desperately seeking places to be parked. I think it is pretty obvious that people are not going to make (or even protect) money by leaving it in the bank.

I have three active trades on the go at the moment:

Sasol
I like this share. Good dividend payer, growth prospects, trades at a discount to its peers and hell its been largely unloved in 2010 despite oil now heading for $100 a barrel. The company started the year at R290 a share and up until September it didn't go anywhere but in the last couple of weeks its been slowly

gaining some momentum and looks like it wants to push aboe R340 a share.

Call me a cynic but the company is widely held by domestic asset managers and I wouldn't be surprised if this stock starts getting some serious media attention in the early half of 2011 as they try and ramp up their portfolios. Sasol also recently announced a $1bn investment in a Canadian project and a lot of its other Gas to Liquids (GTL) plants are coming on line and pushing up production volumes.

All signs are there that Sasol is kicking up a gear so I am comfortable being long Sasol at R335.

The Nasdaq
Technology stocks have been out of favour in the US for a while now but there is lot going for them. The last couple of quarters have been good for telecomms and tech stocks with many indicating share buybacks and dividends were on the cards. I stand under correction but I think Intel has lifted its dividend in each of the last five years.

US companies have sat with alot of cash on their balance sheets over the last two years and at some point they are going to look to deploy that capital. That means investing in new technology, PCs, semi-conductors etc. A Nasdaq at 2600 doesn't seem to be too risky in my books.

The Dollar
Considering how I got smacked around by US currency over the last six months I probably need my head read but here's my logic:

- The US is coming out of recession
- AIG, Bank of America and Citigroup are repaying their debts
- The emerging market story is interesting but it has meant that many of the US companies are offering some seriously good value. I wouldn't be surprised if demand for US assets starts to rise as institutional investors start realising that they get better value for their money in the US rather than directly ploughing money into emerging markets?

I thought about it a bit and decided to go long dollar, short yen. There is some uncertainty in Asia with the Korean spat so I wonder if the basket of Asian currencies might come under some selling pressure?

Let's see how those play out over the next few weeks.... Happy Xmas and New Year folks

1 comment:

Liquid Trader said...

Japanese Finance Minister has said they will intervene if the Yen keeps strengthening against the dollar

http://www.fin24.com/Markets/Currencies/Japan-sounds-alarm-on-soaring-yen-20101228

This was at $82.45 - gone to 81.75 in trade today