Saturday, May 1, 2010

Long dollar, short euro

"In the next months there will be many demonstrations, nobody knows what really is going to happen, But people know there is no other way than to come down into the streets and protest"...

... that was the message from one of the protesters involved in riots in Greece earlier today.

This is serious kak methinks, and I can't see how it won't spread to at least Portugal and Spain over the next week. I read a report that Spain's unemployment rate is now well over 20%... this is not something that gets addressed quickly and even a hint of panic and people will start pulling money out of the banks.

The Euro I reckon is toast unless the regulators take some serious action to try and co-ordinate their efforts quicker. With that in mind I've gone long dollar, short euro on Friday. I should have entered the trade earlier but I reckon it is now terminal...

The euro recovered a bit late on Friday night on speculation that the Greek bailout will be sorted out over the weekend but if Spain and Portugal fall over early next week then there is going to be carnage.

Not too much else looking that attractive is there?

No comments: