Thursday, April 23, 2009

Catchup

Hhhhhmmm these South African public holidays have really played havoc with any day-trading activities so I've had to spend my time on the "investment" side of my portfolio.

Added a few more PSG and ZGOVI's to my portfolio and I've also added Country Bird Holdings to my watchlist.

PSG
Was pretty happy with the results out of PSG and I'm quite liking the way that their companies are actively seeking acquisitions while others are heading for the hills. Check how nicely Capitec has done in recent weeks since their results came out.

Below R16, I've been adding a few more PSG to the portfolio.

I'm also watching PSG for some action around their Paladin subsidiary which has been steadily adding to its holding in Top Fix Holdings. (Not totally sure what the strategy is here, because I'd have thought there were better quality assets - but I guess we trust Jannie Mouton's judgement on all of this)

ZGOVI
I'll blog separately on my Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) strategy for my portfolio but I've continued to add these ZGOVI's to my portfolio for a bit of diversity into another asset class.

These things have held up quite nicely and coupled with their distribution, they've been worthwhile to hold through all this turmoil.

Pick 'n Pay / Pikwik
How good were those results out of Pick 'n Pay! I have a couple of Pikwik in my portfolio and those results mean I'll probably add a few more to my portfolio. Some success in Australia with the Franklins operation at last and good cash flows. Nice defensive option in the portfolio and with decent cash flows come decent dividends.

Altech / Altron
Altech released their financial results yesterday and they also looked good. As far as IT companies go, my pick would be Altech. However while I like the Altech story, I've actually been adding the Altron shares (wider power and infrastructure story as well as access to ALT) as well as the Altron prefs to my portfolio for some dividend yield.

Strategy
In terms of strategy, I'm still short equity and long gold (underlying and AngloGold).

I see China has just announced that they've bought a stack of Gold which has driven the price back above the 900 dollar mark.

Equities are still looking a little shaky in general and it would appear that Chrysler is going into bankruptcy protection in next few days. Stress tests out of the banks also due out today... gonna be interesting.

No comments: